This summer, one of the books I read was Saved by the Enemy by Craig A. Ledbetter. This book is mainly about how two brothers survive the holocaust. The only reason they did survive however, is because they had help from the enemy- thus the title Saved by the Enemy.While at the same time presenting both Hank and Fred Taucher's story, the book also mentions what is happening in Germany at the time.
In the beginning of the book, it starts with the two boys being born, Hank and Fred Taucher, and how Fred, the younger brother was born before the day Hitler became chancellor of Germany. Because at that time, antisemitism was strongly rising, and Fred was born with help of the enemy: a Nazi.
I thought personally this was just luck or kindness, considering Fred's birth was in the early 1930s and World War II would not start until about six more years. However, I was wrong and throughout the thirties and mid-1940s, the Taucher family had extremely good luck, at least compared to some living in Berlin, Germany at that time.
Overall, I think Saved by The Enemy was a really good book because It was not just a memoir or biography sort of book, it had a sort of non-fiction factual thing going on. I recommend this book.
No comments:
Post a Comment